Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Back

WOW.

I'm back home and currently sitting in my room, in the dark, under the covers, trying to stay awake against the jetlag. It is three in the morning Rome time.

I got back from Italy yesterday, bringing back with me no souvenirs better than the amazing experience I had. I was able to cross everything off of my list of sights to see! But doing so was a hectic process haha

We walked and walked and walked and walked EVERYWHERE until we decided to get smart and figure out the metro, bus, and tram systems. As great as Rome is, it only has two metro lines. Being used to New York's subway system, that is simply unacceptable. It was inconvenient because we always had to take one line to the station where the lines crossed to switch onto the other line if we needed to go somewhere. But it was a new experience. Getting me ready for Paris and all.

But it was an incredible trip. Spending 6 days with the family was...interesting. I now don't want to be home with them at all for drawn out periods of time, I have gotten my fill for the week haha. However, having no internet and "bonding" with them was what I imagine is considered "detox" for our generation as my dad so eloquently put it.

There were so many beautiful things around the city but the main theme that I saw everywhere that I thoroughly enjoyed was the juxtaposition of the old and new. The Roman government has done an excellent job in maintaining the old ruins that the modern city is now built on. They have done such a good job that you can see history ranging from B.C. times to modern day from every street, and view possible.

Rome is called the "Eternal City" because it is ever changing, but always preserved, eternal and existent. What once existed, remains, as an ode to the olden days and times. The history is so rich and I am glad that I was able to experience it. I hope that everyone gets a chance to experience the realizations of wishes that they have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment