Wednesday, May 23, 2012

TODAY

EEEEEEEEEEEP!!!

AH today is finally here! I officially leave for Rome tonight.
Its going to be such a hectic trip. Being a tourist is never a relaxing experience, but this will definitely be an unforgettable one. Or at least I'm going to make it very memorable.

My itinerary is crazy, but since my dad basically told me to plan our trip, I have packing in everything that I want to see and that I have learned about in my Art History class. This whole summer is going to be centraled around art. I'll probably be sick of it in the fall. Paris is going to be all art, everyday.

ANYWAYS, this is my plan for Rome:

Day 1: Arrive! Ciao in Italia! go to our apartment, settle in and grab a quick lunch. We're then going to go to the Borghese  gallery where a lot of Bernini sculptures are housed including his rendition of David. Its much different from Michelangelo's David because this sculpture is more dynamic. It is in a very 3D form in the sense that Bernini has depicted movement. David has a slingshot in his hand and has his body twisted as he pulls back on the slingshot to make his move against goliath. Here it is:


After the museum and its impressive art collection, we are going to walk around the many Piazza's that are reflective of Rome and the Italian lifestyle. I really want to go to Piazza Navona because there's another Bernini sculpture there, and because it was an integral part of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. (My trips based around Robert Langdon and all the places that he's made to explore in Rome...kinda but not really.) To end the day, we are going to take a walking tour where we will start at the Spanish Steps, walk around Trevi Fountain, see the Pantheon and take in the Italian Culture. Sidenote: I really want to eat pizza for dinner.

Day 2: Wake up at the crack of dawn and take a train to Naples for a day trip tour. We will have pizza here in the birthplace of pizza! After breaking for lunch, we are heading to the preserved city of Pompeii. We might even get a chance to explore and climb up Mount Vesuvius. All my childhood, I have been fascinated by Greek and Roman mythology and ancient history. I will finally be able to have a first hand experience!

Day 3: This will be a Saturday and we are going to spend the day at the Vatican. Walking around St. Peters and going inside the basilica should be fascinating. We are going to go through the vatican museums and see everything that is there and end up at the Sistine Chapel. Craning my neck, I'll see all the Ignudi's, prophets and sibyls, and straight ahead will be The Last Judgement. I'm also really excited to see a vatican swiss guard in his official outfit.


We might walk around some more that day, just relax.

Day 4: Another crazy day trip! We are heading to Florence this time and will have a couple hours to do a lot. I really want to go to the Uffizi museum which houses a lot of great pieces of Art from Caravaggio, Raphael, Michelangelo and other great Renaissance Artists. (I also aim to see art by ALL the ninja turtles: Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, and Leonardo of course.) We are also going to the Galeria d'Academia which houses the original David by Michelangelo. I also want to go to the Duomo, which is a big cathedral built and planned by Fillippo Brunelleschi. Its engineered amazingly.

Il Duomo from the Outside

Inside the dome!
                                   
Day 5: Our Last day! This day we are going to relax and finally go see the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. Where the gladiators faced off against lions and each other, this ancient world wonder is one of the most visited wonders in the world. It will be a good way to cap off the trip and say Addio Italia!


I am really looking forward to this trip as I will also start to become accustomed to dealing with european money and ideals which I will fully immerse myself into when I am in Paris. I am going to make the best of this trip. And document this with as many pictures as I can take. Summer starts now!

Sidenote: looking forward to eating gelato, authentic tiramisu, canolis and other delicious italian pastries. All the walking I will be doing will keep off my weight, right? Let's hope so. Same goes for paris will all the baguettes and goat cheese I will be living off of.

TIRAMISU - one of my absolute favorite desserts. 
I will only be posting after I get back but until then, see ya later!
Ro :)




No comments:

Post a Comment