Wednesday, June 13, 2012

First Couple Days

WARNING: something is clearly wrong with my font. ok, enjoy!


HI


I've had an interesting first couple days haha. Its been rain or shine literally every other minute of the day. The clouds clear up for a couple hours so that I can get my vitamin D in and then all of a sudden, come back and it begins to pour. So the temperature has not gone higher than 66 degrees Fahrenheit. 


As I've been getting acclimated to Parisian life, I have also started being an art historian, and rain or shine, class happens according to the syllabus. 


The first day, we went to Notre Dame thought it was raining and i am such a pro at european metros. 
In addition to Notre Dame, we went into the crypts that are underneath the cathedral. We got these 
head set things which i used in rome, so the professor can speak and we can walk around and still hear her through the system.  There was a ledge where i put my journal and the head set as i was digging around for the earbud in my purse. and just as i found it, i think i knocked my stuff down and just as it would have it, there was a separation in the floor between it and the glass barrier and as it would happen my notebook WOULD fall with the headset. so this one girl crysta saw me as i was flailing on the floor sticking my hand down reaching for it. and this other girl stephanie saw too. steph thought that i was wanting to "become ONE" with the crypt and touch history, LOL. but crysta knew and i had to awkwardly stop the professor and tell her. i was super terrified of telling her lol but the one really really tall kid zach was able to reach my notebook but not the headset and she told me what the headset was going to cost $50 me and i was silently freaking out.

but after our tour, she asked the people politely in french to see if there was some way to get it out and they did. PHEW. I did NOT want to be $50 out SO EARLY on my trip. I have other things to spend my money on! Also, this WOULD be the one day that i forgot my camera battery in my charger in my room so I did not take any pictures. I went back the next day (today) to take pictures of notre dame. 




Notre Dame!
The line of men you see are all French Kings.
During the French Revolution these statues
were all beheaded and have no been
replaced with fake heads.
The original heads are at the musee
de Cluny which I talk about soon!
After observing the facade that is Notre Dame, we went to the musee de monde arabe which is the arabic museum. The arabic museum was architecturally cool. i'll go back and take pics and caption and explain. i can't explain without a picture. but it was cool to read about the medieval foundations which we continued onto today. 


Today, we went to the cathedral of St. Denis which was the foundation for Notre Dame and is more important than Notre Dame because it is where the entirely of the french royal lineage (minus 3 kings) are buried. It is the cathedral that houses all their tombs and treasuries. Though much smaller than Notre Dame it was built before and used to be a central part of Paris. Now it is more off the beaten path and it is not touristy which was nice to see. The stained glass inside the cathedral is spectacular. its absolutely fascinating how these windows are so detailed and made beautifully. 

St. Denis!
Stained glass. stunning. 
moreee....
gorgeous!
After St. Denis, we went to the musee de Cluny which was a medieval house which then has become a museum of medieval artifacts. It has some impressive stained glass as well. It houses a set of unicorn tapestries and is much like the cloisters museum (part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art) in New York. The tapestries were beautiful and sometime next week we are going to go to a place where we see how these pieces were made. 




so detailed!
two of the tapestries we saw
This is actually a law book
the text is in the middle in black
surrounded by criticisms in brown.
there are even notes handwritten
by readers in the margins!
Class days are generally short here. We usually meet around 930 AM and are back around 230 PM where our free time can be used for exploration as  well as the homework that we are expected to do. 
Today I went to a cafe near Notre Dame and had a wonderful chocolate lava cake with some creme anglaise and returned home and made myself a sandwich of baguette bread (toasted) and filled with, sundried tomato paste, goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, and arugula. Absolutely delicious. I have become domestic haha. 



Molten lava cake and creme anglaise


My sandwich!

Ro <3


















1 comment: