Thursday, June 7, 2012

Rome Randoms!



So this post is just going to be random sights I saw in Rome and didn't include in my other posts hahah.

To the left, is just the view of a traditional roman street. I really like taking pictures of streets and seeing the houses with a little bit of sun. I take lots of these pictures hahah











Painted men. 

Pantheon with its obelisk

Umbrella Pine trees.
These are the trees from where pine nuts come!

another street vew
from atop the spanish steps





















Keats Shelly Museum in Rome

Okay so, Rome has 13 obelisks. All of which
were a gift from Egypt as a result of the alliance
between Cleopatra and Marc Anthony.
After the Papal institution was designed, they
viewed all these obelisks as pagan phallic symbols.
To change that, they moved all the obelisks to be
placed in front of prominent churches so that
when people were coming on pilgrimages
they would know which were the important
churches to visit.
They also stuck a cross on top of each one
to show their assertion of power over the
pagan religion that once existed. 


Street Sign of Appia Antica

Appia Antica
The oldest road in Rome.
The saying goes "All roads lead to Rome" but
since roads were laid from the city center
in actuality, all roads lead AWAY from Rome.
























Fancy Gelato

Food! Gnocchi and Bruschetta and Bread YUM

CUTE ACCORDION PLAYER
Oh my gosh, first of all, I am obsessed with all the accordion
players that fill Europe. I love the sound of the instrument
and hearing it on a street corner while eating, or hearing
it on the subway is just entertaining. I guess its because
its just different from a Saxophone which I hear everyday because
of my brother and its prominence in the city.

Near the Colosseum is Palatine Hill which is where
all the emperors had residence during their reign. This is the
house of Romulus and Remus, who were the sons of the she
wolf. They were both rulers and quarreled about where to
build a new city and in the resulting fight that ensued,
Romulus killed Remus and named the city Rome after himself

Oldest part of Rome ever. Within the Romulus and Remus
household remains

View of the Colo from the Roman Forum




















Yummy spaghetti, gnocchi, and penne!

WHEELS OF CHEESE





















Chocolate and Hazelnut Gelato.
Hazelnut is by far my favorite flavor ever. And with chocolate?
Yum. Its like a ferero rocher. WHICH BY THE WAY
the Ferero company also makes the KINDER chocolates.
For those of you who have NO idea what I'm talking about,
I'll bring you back some. 

Warm toasted chestnut stand. They are
everywhere. And ABSOLUTELY
DELICIOUS.






















This is Julius Caesar's "tomb." After Caesar was
assassinated, he was cremated and his ashes
were placed within the Roman Forum near where
his house was. From in front of this spot is where
Marc Antony gave his famous "Friends, Romans, Countrymen"
speech. This site always has flowers laid upon it it is said.
I wonder who brings flowers and leaves it here on a
daily or weekly basis. Regardless, thats cool. 

Well then folks, I think its time to say Ciao to the Italy portion of my travels. I'm sure I'lll always have something more to post and something extra to always reference but for now, this is a closed chapter to be opened and later revisited.

I am right now looking forward to my Paris trip! EEEEP! I leave on Sunday night (at least its after all the important euro cup 2012 matches provided by groups B and C.) I return July 15th. Its a 5 week trip. That seems like a long time. Its also a 36 day trip. That sounds a lot better I think. 36 days as opposed to 5 weeks. The days are easier to cross off and take one at a time as opposed to the weeks which are daunting.

I have also finalized my one bit of traveling which I am going to do haha. I am going to go to Belgium! I'm really excited and I'm happy that I have someone going with me. Everyone on the trip wants to go to Amsterdam...and I can think of only one reason why haha. Well, seeing as I've already been there and London, I wanted to do something different and that was Belgium. I am going to be staying in a youth hostel (THAT SHOULD BE INTERESTING) and am going on a Friday night and returning on a Sunday.

This trip is going to be a once in a lifetime trip. I'm not going to go crazy, in terms of partying, because I have no need to. I'm going to be classy, like the proper person I am (though I will try some sips of this and that, I AM in Europe where I will never get these chances again). And because I have great things waiting for me back home, no need to put myself in vulnerable, and precarious situations in an unknown country. No need to compromise my safety for experiences some may view as fun, while I view as...not for me. I have the best thing ever at home and am perfectly content with my life right now. Everything is great and ridiculously happy. I am grateful, and so lucky, for what I have. And I hope that I have a wonderful, amazing time in Europe and learn more about myself. Not that 36 days is going to be that much of an impact. But still. 36 days will multiple chances to explore various intricacies of painting, sculpture, food, water (ahem), culture, and...myself.

36 days isn't that bad. Enough to get a taste of a different lifestyle. Hopefully I learn things that can be applied to my day to day life here in the states. Maybe I'll come back knowing how to be a little more relaxed, less uptight, so that I can enjoy everything I have around me here. I WANT TO BE A RELAXED EUROPEAN.

That is all.

Ro. <3



1 comment:

  1. Damn, I thought those wheels of cheese were columns of bamboo buckets or something LOL.

    WOO have fun in Paris! Can't wait to hear more stories hohohoho

    ReplyDelete